POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : isoteapot : Re: isoteapot Server Time
14 Aug 2024 05:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: isoteapot
From: ABX
Date: 14 Jan 2003 08:20:30
Message: <cj382vk1n1410nijhvn0p8stgg9vi5o64a@4ax.com>
On 14 Jan 2003 07:27:48 -0500, "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:
>ABX <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote in
> > 'builded automaticly' means probably tesselation process, are you
> > aware how good tesselation is complicated? some methods are even
> > patended! tesselation needs a lot of calculations, too.
>
> But we don't need ideal tesselation. We will get object that +/- is a
> tesselation of isosurface, and then we will "inflate" this mesh

"inflate" in what direction? returned by normal in trace()? how do you want to
verify that the new place for vertex is not again inside isosurface? of course
with another evaluation. in case it is inside where will you move your vertex?
and how do you want to guarantee that new  triangle does not cross isosurface
surface? of course with set of evaluations. IMO there is no efective way to
get it automated for general cases.

It seems you really think it is easy, I can hardly see small advantage from
this. In case you still don't want to touch POV-Ray source code feel free to
provide algorithms using POV-Ray SDL. There are isosurfaces, trace() and
meshes. You can define input parameters and output mesh. Then your help will
be appreciated.

> > using 'trace' function you can get points _on_ isosurface but bounding
> > requires surface _around_ isosurface.
>
> inflate

outside.

> > moreover 'trace' sends ray to
> > get intersection, so you probably will need more intersection tests
> > with your 'optimization' than without.
>
> save / load

Yes. I'm waiting for your SDL version of this stuff.

ABX